This time last year I wrote a blog about training with a buddy to help you get back into your fitness/ exercise routine. Well... we all know a lot has changed since then. I thought that, this year, I'd take this blog and update it a bit! So here's how to get back into your routine with a buddy: pandemic edition! Enjoy!
Now that summer is winding down, many of us are excited to get back to our regular routines: kids, school, jobs and...working out! It can be exciting to recommit to your fitness goals, and it can feel daunting as well. A great way to help ease you back in, is training with a buddy. By this time, you may have a friend or family member that you are spending some time with, I know many people have opened up their social circles a little bit. If you are not comfortable with that, don't worry, there are other ways to train with a buddy that do not include meeting up in person!
Working with a partner can be a marvelous way to motivate one another to get to the gym as well as an opportunity to have someone else monitor your movements and push you!
Here are some ideas for you and a buddy:
- Run Around the Park. Running with a buddy is a great way to get the most out of your run and why not take that run to the park? There are several reasons why having a partner can be beneficial including having someone to hold you accountable, make sure your form is good, help you set a good pace and, of course, someone to help the time pass with good conversation!
- Go To a Dance or Fitness Class on Zoom or Instagram. There are TONS of amazing dance and fitness classes all over the internet nowadays! There are classes ranging from Zumba, to hip hop dance, to pilates to yoga. Those types of classes are such a fun way to get your exercise in and have a great date with a friend. Though summer is over, the weather is still gorgeous in NYC, and many studios have taken to holding their classes outdoors in the park or on rooftops!
- Do Some Circuit Training. Circuit training is great for buddies in a similar way to running is: having someone to keep you company and keep you accountable can be a really valuable tool in your fitness routine. There are tons of great circuit workouts you can try on the web like 29 Great Partner Exercises or Buddy Up With These 11 Exercises You Can Do With a Partner. Pongo Power has even added some group fitness classes for you via Zoom! Check out our online class schedule here.
- Jump Around. On a personal note, I’ve been loving the jump rope recently! I find it to be an effective and fun way to get your cardio in and your heart rate up. You can jump rope with a buddy by either jumping in tandem or taking turns (2 minutes on, 2 minutes off) for 20-30 minutes.
- Join a Small or Private Gym. While big box gyms have reopened in New York, the jury is still out on how safe they really are. I know many gyms are taking precautions, which is great, but you may still feel weary about being back in a space like that. That's why smaller gyms and studios may the way to go. Pongo Power is gearing up to reopen in a safe and sustainable way. We have the capability to space out our sessions to allow for cleaning and airing out of the gym, something big box gyms are not currently doing.
- Try Something New. Whether it’s going to the gym, a dance class, a run or doing an at-home workout - getting out there and trying something new is how you keep health and wellness interesting. That being said, trying new things can be intimidating and bringing a friend with you can bring comfort and familiarity into otherwise unknown territory. And if you’re loving a workout you’re doing - share that wealth with someone you love! Show them you love them by making inviting them to feel good.