My Experience Catching Coronavirus

Hey there! Ally Taylor here. I’d like to introduce myself before I get to the purpose of this post. I am a NASM certified personal trainer as well as a registered yoga teacher from Laughing Lotus.

I trained clients at Pongo Power for four years before I had my first child and moved upstate to Warwick, New York.  I now raise my three wild and vibrant children, Madeline, Luke and Lilli.

Upon scouring the internet, I found it difficult to find any firsthand accounts of coronavirus symptoms. They all seemed so different and varied. This is my experience with the novel coronavirus, in the hopes that it can help someone.

We have been isolating this entire time. My husband Rob is a Captain with the FDNY and an essential employee. He was going into work three or four times a week. On March 12, 13, and 15 he worked with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. This person came in to work despite feeling unwell and having a fever (stay home folks!) presumably for overtime pay.

Myself and my children had been isolated in our home as soon as we received the order to be and had not come into contact with anyone else.


3/20 - I noticed a slight cough.

3/22 - Started to feel a bit unwell. Calves were sore - assumed from walking uphill. Tired - assumed from being up all night with a fussy baby.

3/23 - Had a horrible night. No fever but alternated chills and sweating throughout the night. Insides feel like they’re vibrating. Slept all day (a total of 18 hours). Any small amount of effort exerted, such as getting a snack for the kids, left me needing to lie down and possibly nap. Extremely dizzy. Every muscle in my body hurts.

3/24 - More of the same. Another day of sleeping. Assumed I’d get a bit better but didn’t. Spent the day in bed. My whole body ached. I noticed that keeping hydrated and forcing myself to eat helped: was able to keep my strength up somewhat.

3/25 - Yet more of the same. Slept another 18 hours. Towards the end of the day, I started to feel a bit less exhausted. However, as the exhaustion lessened I developed a sharp pain in the front of my head and an odd metallic taste in my mouth.

3/26 - Much less exhausted- am able to wake up at a normal time. Very short of breath but feeling more like myself. Have lost my sense of smell almost entirely. Can only taste foods that are very salty.

As I was going to sleep I noticed that my 3 year old, Luke,  had a fever. I took his temperature- it was 100.4. He went to sleep, tossed and turned a bit.

3/27 - 3/27 - Luke woke up perfectly fine. No fever, acting like himself. His nose is runny and he has a cough, but he has had this for a while so it’s hard to say what it was. My 4 year old daughter has a very occasional but also very intense cough. And my 4 month old remains unaffected. I am still very short of breath and dizzy when I do any activity. 
COVID-19 test results come back positive.

3/28 - Almost entirely better except for lack of smell and taste. Am also developing a shortness of breath, in which I can’t inhale fully. It takes me 2 or 3 tries to get a deep breath. However, this is something I’ve dealt with most of my life. I had mild asthma as a child (could that be why this virus affected me a bit worse than the rest of my family) and as an adult have the occasional “attack” when I can’t inhale and fill all the way up without a bit of effort.

It took one full week afterwards of recovery in which I just took it easy and did the bare minimum. I wasn’t feeling unwell in any way, but felt the need to rest. My occasional shortness of breath remained for about a week and a half afterwards. My smell came back partially but still (3 weeks later) hasn’t fully returned.

I am so grateful to be part of the 80% that had a more mild case of this virus. I am eager to donate my plasma and hopefully be a part of helping someone else recover. We have remained on our property, despite having the go ahead to go back out into the world. We don’t want to take any chances and want to stay home to help stop the spread, regardless of our health status.

I feel lucky to be able to find joy every day in the midst of all of this craziness. I spend the days with my children playing in our backyard. We have an acre to run around on and spend most of our time outside making mud pies, riding bikes, playing on the swings, chasing each other. My love for them and being in nature helps to ease my anxiety about the state of the world and what will come next. These are hard times, but we are strong.

It is a serious thing

To be alive

On this fresh morning

In this broken world

-Mary Oliver


We'll be interviewing Ally on Pongo Power's IG LIVE this coming Wednesday April 29th at 3:30 pm.  Swing by, if you'd like to ask her questions, or swing by to say hi!

Tell us your story! Email

Interested in a Free Fitness Assessment? Fill out the form below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search