Nutrition Highlight: Chickpeas
In this day and age, I'm sure you are familiar with the chickpea (also known in many places as the garbanzo bean). However, many people only know of chickpeas because they've been to one too many company parties where there is a bowl of store-bought hummus on the food table sitting next to a platter of vegetables.
Hummus (when made at home) is an absolutely delicious dip. Sometimes the store bought stuff has preservatives in it that gives it an odd after taste..but I digress!
Chickpeas are a legume that have been a part of many middle eastern dishes for thousands of years. They are a great source of vegan protein and, honestly, delicious! Aside from hummus, chickpeas are a wonderful meat substitute and a carb replacement. Today, I'm sharing a delicious Mediterranean Chickpea Salad recipe. Check it out!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
As summer rolls in and temperatures start to rise, I tend to enjoy reach for lighter, refreshing meals. This chickpea salad is perfect as a side dish to grilled salmon, shrimp, tofu, or even eaten as a main dish by itself. The chickpeas provide a source of protein and complex carbohydrates, the tomato and cucumber are rich in vitamins and minerals, and the feta cheese and olive oil add healthy fats! It only takes about 10 minutes to throw together and becomes richer in flavor the longer it marinates in the dressing.
2 cans of chickpeas
1 english cucumber
3 vine ripe tomatoes
4 oz feta cheese
Optional add-ins: sliced kalamata olives, pine nuts, red onion, sliced almonds
¼ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 1-2 medium lemons)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp honey
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pour into a medium bowl
- Slice the cucumber into quarters lengthwise, then chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices, then dice. Add to the bowl.
- Crumble the feta cheese over the other ingredients and gently fold everything together. Add optional add-ins if desired.
- In a small separate bowl, vigorously mix the lemon juice with the olive oil to emulsify. Add honey, mustard, and chopped dill. Flavor with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpea salad and gently mix.
- Cover the bowl and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Meet the Author
Kendra originally began her fitness journey as a dancer. She practiced ballet, jazz, and contemporary dance styles for many years throughout her childhood and early adulthood. In college she developed a secondary passion for running and strength training. In 2016 she completed her 200-HR yoga teacher training certification with Wanderlust Yoga.
Kendra is passionate about wellness and living a balanced lifestyle. She places emphasis on looking at her clients from a variety of angles, encouraging them to address all aspects of their lives in order to become healthier and happier humans. She is currently preparing to begin her Master’s program in Nutrition & Dietetics to become a Registered Dietitian.
“I really enjoy making an impact on the lives of others, helping people to identify and overcome their obstacles, and then watching them succeed at the things they never thought they could accomplish!”
If you'd like to train with us, shoot an email to email@example.com!